Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lost in Revolution


23 YEARS AGO
‘A people crucified, risen, empowered

I was only seven when the so-called EDSA revolution happened. I didn’t exactly know what was happening then, but I felt the jubilation of many. It was years later when I began to understand the significance of the event. By that time, however, all its meaning was lost... because the system hardly changed under the regime of democracy.


In EDSA II, I was there right at the heart of the action – fully knowing what’s at stake. I wanted to be part of a repeat of history. Indeed, it was a repeat. The government never gained back any respect. The same old political battle cry persists.


So.


We do not need to be always reminded of EDSA. We are aware of it.


We do not need another revolution. We are tired of it.


We just need to come to our senses and become responsible citizens. Because our country will not change if we ourselves will not change.


No comments:

Search This Blog